Opportunities

It's been a strange past few weeks for the ministry. Ten of our teens have relocated out of the neighborhood because they felt threatened. This is somewhat discouraging because many of these were being discipled and growing spiritually. They had been there since we began reaching into Detroit-Shoreway in summer 2016, and several of our Shoreway ministries were designed to minister to them.

For the first time since it began, Man Time was looking bleak. It was a good time hanging out with Ronald, now 19-years old and applying to work at Camp Patmos; he's grown up with us ever since we met him downtown years ago. It was just him, me, and Jesse today. I came back to the church after driving Ronald home to the east side and bumped into a kid that I'd only recently met. We ended up talking and hooping for an our an a half! I was thankful to have that window of time open which would not have been so had Man Time been better attended. Afterwards, I went home to find a separate yet relevant situation fall into my lap.

In the past few weeks, one our more infamous teens has been coming back around Shoreway to earn community service hours. (Don't get the wrong idea; these are court-appointed hours.) He's also been bringing some a friend around who also needs hours. Last Saturday, this friend seemed to engage a bit with the discussion questions.

When I came home tonight, I found four guys hanging out around the hoop I had set up next to my new place. (There's a big parking lot next door which belongs to the rehab.) One of these teens was the same teen friend who I'd connected with at Shoreway! "Caleb, what you doing here?" "I live here, bro." We ended up hooping for a long while, and he helped me get to know the other guys. Long story short, his friends and girlfriend live directly across from me.

I just moved into this house and am already well-connected with the guys on the street? Thankful for it. This move was just right for us, a huge opportunity that came virtually came with a new park ministry in our yard. A guy had just asked me Wednesday while I was picking up trash out front, "So man, what are you doing in the hood?" I have to think that most people would be concerned about having a place to which teens flock for a yard, but I see this the perfect opportunity to rep Jesus and be a light to our street.

In addition to tonight, last Tuesday saw an additional four different teen guys and two more Friday come out to the lot to play ball. In the same time frame since we lost a group of ten teens that we knew for a long time, I have met well over ten new people who need the gospel. God is so faithful and able. Just as he has drawn in more than 100 different teens to hear about Him since summer 2016, I should be confident that He is able to connect His people with more who need to know Jesus heading into summer 2018. Why stop now?

Comments