The Living God

The Saturday service in Detroit-Shoreway has been going well! Especially after some culturally-sensitive tweaks and a whole lot of prayer. We put a prayer time an hour and a half before the service so that our leaders, myself included, would go into the evening with a Spirit of unity and worship.

Going through name by name, we pray knowing that only the Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead can raise spiritually dead up to follow Jesus. I think about the Fellas who passively come around, but Zeke, Chris, Tyler, and Ronald are alive and hungry. Fonzo is one of those guys that I never would have expected to still be with the ministry. He came to us about a year ago, ardent atheist. He's one of the nicest kids, smart, rough home life though. I have to believe the Spirit is working in him, or why else would he be hanging out with us? I could go on and on with snapshots like this. We reach them the best we can though church, Man Time or Girl's Night, and discipleship, but it's really God who is hunting them down spiritually.

He is the Living God. This week He has done work, and Ronald has taken long-awaited steps into Jesus-following manhood. I look at his peers who broken into steal snacks from the church this week. I look at E-man from my building who is too full of himself to follow Jesus. The path is narrow, but it's good remember that our God is actively pursing those to follow, serve, and worship Him. So we do not lose hope.

Comments