Just Like You

Being a leader is harder than it looks. I recently heard a secular podcast measure leadership in ability “to oppose the system you are a part of one necessary.”[1] In that sense, stepping out to follow Jesus is one of remaining true acts of leadership that individual can make in this culture. Little Theo is still jarred by me and Jesse's open betrayal of the pursuit of wealth, fame, and pleasure. "Of course those you will be happy when you have those things!" says the teen who has only known rugged life circumstances.

Praying for God's provision, I jumped on it when the couple in front of me at the dollar store offered me $10 to help them move their furniture. I ended up walking into waste zone complete with crying babies, filth up to the ceilings, dead mice, dirty diapers on the floor; they were heroin users. When I sit down at Man Time and see some not-so-great kids that I still truly love, I know that God has a better vision for their futures than bondage to selfishness. Please pray that God will empower the young men of CityView West Bethel to go against the cultural current of followership.

“But then in steps Jesus
All men were created to lead but we need somebody to lead us
More than a teacher
But somebody who buy us back from the darkness
Say He redeemed us”[2]

I get to do a lot of leading now, and these words bring me back when I find myself hating it.


[1] Brett McKay, “Podcast #261: Solitude, Friendship, and How Not to Be an Excellent Sheep,” The Art of Manliness, December 15, 2016, accessed December 18, 2016, http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/12/15/podcast-261-solitude-friendship-can-make-better-leader/.
[2] Lecrae Moore ft. J. Paul, “Just Like You,” Rehab, Reach Records, 2010, mp3.

Comments